If you already have journalism skills and want to add subbing to your portfolio, we have your perfect solution
Professional sub-editing courses leading to the National Council for the Training of Journalists subbing exam.
First-class sub-editors are always in demand
All over the UK and internationally, sub-editors are the glue that binds publications together. A sub-editor’s work can make or break a page.
Reporters and editors rely on good subs to produce top-quality pages in print and online, so that readers will stick with them.
“After being made redundant I took the part-time course in sub-editing to improve my skills. The course offered plenty of work experience opportunities and through an initial placement on the Mail on Sunday YOU magazine I managed to secure a paid position as a sub-editor on the Metro newspaper after just two weeks.”
Sub-editing is important
Who are these courses for?
- Reporters who want to learn the extra skills of subbing
- People already working in newspaper offices who would like to switch to an editorial role
- Editors and contributors to newsletters, other publications or websites
- PR, media and communications professionals who want to add subbing to their skill set.
What do they cover?
- Understand the crucial role of a sub-editor in print and online
- Write accurately and with clarity
- Balance stories
- Attract your readers’ interest
- Sub for features, picture stories, page leads, anchor stories and letters
- Design page layouts using Adobe InDesign
- Use the full IMPACT of typography
- Write attention-grabbing headlines for print and online
- Write perfect picture captions
- Learn print and online techniques
- Proof read and master the main proofing symbols.
Full-time sub-editing course
- Seven consecutive days of intensive subbing tuition, plus an exam day
- Take a week off work and concentrate on all the skills you need
- Ideal for anyone living too far from Brighton to commute. Come and stay in Brighton for a week and update your skills
- Small classes
- Prepare for the NCTJ sub-editing exam.
£950 including VAT and exam fees.