One year full-time ― two years part-time
Journalism remains a crucial part of democratic public life. This innovative MA has a global focus and offers you the opportunity to learn how to research and write news and features, creating and adapting news stories across platforms.
This intensive degree combines traditional academic study with professional training. Theory and analysis are taught by academics, while practical journalism elements are taught by experienced industry professionals.
This advanced degree allows you to:
- Understand and debate the broader issues driving news organisations across the world
- Engage with journalism’s forms, practices and institutions at national and international levels
- Be knowledgeable about the functions of journalism in a contemporary environment
- Produce copy for a range of platforms
- Critically evaluate and analyse a range of journalistic outputs and their characteristics.
- Our journalism MAs are of a high standard and our accredited Journalism MA course was named ‘best performing Higher Education postgraduate course for 2014-15’ by the UK’s National Council for the Training of Journalists.
- We offer excellent technical facilities, including a dedicated newsroom, the latest software, video and radio studios, and a suite of digital media laboratories.
- We focus on fast-changing developments in journalism and documentary practice – this MA combines both theory and practice.
HOW WILL I STUDY?
You will learn through core modules and options in the autumn and spring terms. In the summer, you will develop a research-led project or a conventional dissertation.
- Oral and poster presentations
- Learning diaries
- Multimedia submissions
- A portfolio of practical journalism.
The MA culminates in a substantial research-led project or a 15,000-word dissertation.